Saturday, February 23, 2013

Swatch & Review: Color Secrets Amelie and Moulin Rouge


Hey, everyone! Thanks for sticking with me this week... I appreciate it! I'm so glad to be back!

Today, I have two polishes to show you from a new brand called Color Secrets. One of the really cool things about their polishes is the fact that every single one is named after a movie, most of which are chick flicks. Some of my favorites used are Casablanca, Miss Congeniality, Clueless, She's All That, Tangled, Notebook, Pretty in Pink, Never Been Kissed, Dirty Dancing, Devil Wears Prada, Love Actually, the Breakfast Club, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Night at the Roxbury, and Across the Universe!

I received Moulin Rouge and Amelie! How Academy Awards appropriate, right?

Disclaimer: The product(s) in this post were provided to me by the manufacturer or their PR company for consideration. For more information please visit my Disclaimer page.   


First up is Moulin Rouge, a juicy strawberry polish with electric pink glass flecks.



It was opaque in three coats, but you could probably get away with two. When it comes to glitter, I'm a proponent of, well, more is more! The formula was a little thin, but very workable. It wasn't a problem at all. I really loved how squishy this looked, even though it wasn't a jelly.

The only downside to this shade was that it wasn't terribly unique. I thought I had at least one or two polishes in my collection that were really similar if not identical. So I decided to put it to the dupe or no dupe test.

From left to right: China Glaze 108 Degrees, Color Secrets Moulin Rouge, and OPI I'm All Ears.



China Glaze 108 Degrees is on the index finger, Color Secrets Moulin Rouge in the middle, and OPI I'm All Ears on the ring finger.

I'm All Ears is definitely the odd man out here, while 108 Degrees and Moulin Rouge are VERY similar. Moulin Rouge is maybe a TAD lighter, but it's really hard to tell. I would safely call them dupes. But with the price point (China Glaze being $8 and Color Secrets being $2.99), I'd much rather pick up Moulin Rouge.


This emerald frost metallic is named Amelie. This shade is different from any I currently own and I am a sucker for emerald green, which is the shade of the year for 2013!

I like that it's not too frosty and you can't see the brushstrokes. It toes the line between frost and metallic VERY well. The formula on this was similarly thin, like Moulin Rouge, but definitely needed the three coats. It was completely opaque with three.

I liked these two colors from Color Secrets a lot. I thought for the $2.99 price point, these were very pretty colors with some nice pop to them. I could see myself wearing both again. And really, it's worth it to own a polish with the name of your favorite movie! I think that part is VERY clever!

Also, if you're a vegan, these polishes are vegan-friendly. I know how hard it is to find vegan polishes that are inexpensive, so this brand is totally for you!

Color Secrets nail lacquers are 3-free and vegan-friendly. You can see the full list of movie-themed shade on their website for $2.99. Color Secrets also offers sixteen different nail art applique sets that do not require acetone for removal. The appliques are $5.99 each and currently on sale for buy two, get one. And bonus: they have rhinestones! Be sure to follow Color Secrets on their Facebook page and via Twitter.

I definitely think that Color Secrets offers salon quality polishes for a third of the cost with a huge variety. And those looking for vegan-friendly options are certainly in luck!

So would you order Color Secrets? And which of the movie titles is YOUR favorite! I'm dying to know!

Disclaimer: The product(s) in this post were provided to me by the manufacturer or their PR company for consideration. For more information please visit my Disclaimer page.  

No comments:

Post a Comment